Doctoral Programmes at Scuola Normale Superiore
- Fully-funded Ph.D. programmes – more than 70 scholarships of up to € 15,000 are awarded annually
- Well-structured Ph.D. programmes in eleven disciplines throughout Mathematical and Natural Sciences, Humanities, Political and Social Sciences
- Accurate selection of the best students to create a high-level intellectual environment
- Dynamic and international community – 46 nationalities from around the world are represented in our student and researcher population
- Facilities like state-of-the-art laboratories and one of the largest open-shelf libraries in Europe to provide the students with the most favorable conditions to develop their talents
- Transversal skills workshops and special courses of academics and experts who visit and research in our Faculties
- Tailored supervision to give the students the tools needed to write the best possible thesis
- Successful positions in academia and national institutions hold by our alumni – among them three Nobel prize winners, many Presidents and Prime Ministers of the Italian Republic and lots of scientists and professionals
Apply and study at Scuola Normale Superiore,
the first Italian university in the Times Higher Education ranking list 2016-2017
Application conditions and requirements
All PhD programmes are open to both Italian citizens and students from abroad.
All students admitted to our PhD programmes receive full financial support. This includes tuition, fees, and a cost-of-living scholarship. Support is provided to students who maintain a good academic standing and make satisfactory progress towards their PhD degree.
All students will be assigned further funding for their research activity and travel.
Each PhD course offers scholarships reserved to students who graduated in non-Italian universities.
Applications are submitted from candidates, irrespective of their citizenship, who:
- will have completed an Italian laurea magistrale or equivalent degree from a non-Italian university within 31 October 2018
- were born after 31 October 1988
Admissions are based on candidates’ academic work and interviews.
Application deadlines and process
All PhD courses will start from 1 November 2018.
The interviews will be held from 22 March 2018. Application for admission must be made on line in the SNS website by 11:59 PM (CET) of 28 February 2018.
All applications received and registered on line after the stipulated date and time will be rejected whatever the cause of delay.
Applicants may contact the SNS Students’ Office for information at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All personal data of candidates is protected under and will be handled in accordance with Italian law (no. 196, 30 June 2003).